What networking device brand you prefer and which models of said brand?

When I started networking back in 2008 I liked those small business linksys/cisco devices and those early HP switches that had CLI similar to IOS. After moving into more Sys Admin role then barely touch any. Then back in 2016 I ran into ubiquiti and started using their devices for WiFi and switching. When it comes to routing I been using Pfsense. I been thinking of buying ubuquiti hardware to upgrade even if its used. What brand do you like ?

3 Likes

I have at 3 fritzboxes. The 6660 for the main router and two 4040 which i use for a mesh network and switches. So i can get WiFi in the basement and first floor.
The 6660 has one 2.5gb port where i have a QNAP QSW-1100 connected to.
Next goal would be to upgrade everything to 2.5gb.

2 Likes

Ubiquiti/Unifi is my go-to at home, and it’s what we recommend for all of our MSP clients (where I work).

3 Likes

Ubiquiti/Unifi seems really great but haven’t got anything from them yet been thinking of getting atleast one of their AP’s currently just rocking a random zyxel switch with an old HPE procurve in my rack on standby. Also do the Ubiquiti AP’s require a controller to be installed or be running on something?

1 Like

In my experience they do not. But, you loose some features on managing devices. I been using the phone app to manage them and configure.

Mostly because i can’t afford Unifi, but i quite like the TPLink omada kit.

1 Like

I recently installed my first MikroTik router, and it is fantastic. Seems to have every feature under the sun (with accompanying learning curve), and friendly community.

2 Likes

I use a mix between UniFi and MikroTik. UniFi for APs and Gigabit switches. Mikrotik for 10gb+.

1 Like