When do yall think the IT/CS industry job economy will get better?

In the past few years a lot of companies have layoff thousands of employees and there’s a surplus of employees looking for new jobs. I have spend more than 6 months and over 600 application for jobs and every time denied. There’s also hundredths of job posted in places like linkedin and indeed. How long do yall think it will take to go back to normal? will it get better soon or will take years like the 2008 home crash?

1 Like

I think it depends what you are looking for and where. Small and medium companies are still doing pretty strong hiring. But for enterprise jobs, I think it will be a while.

1 Like

I been looking everywhere. Regardless of size and been applying for jobs that are closer to my skill set. Even started learning other skills.

I think we are seeing ripples from market effects on FAANG Orgs. Once you see the big boys start hiring devs and engineers again is probably around the time the market has adjusted and more bodies mean more innovation. The scary problem I see maybe happening is one of the big boys toppling. In the case of IT/Systems Admin if GCP (Google Cloud Platform) gets sunset like google products do then we will see a surge of temp hires for cloud migration experts but a deep decline in jobs as Google Cloud Devs will flood the field. Like you said, there appears to be a lot of people looking as per this post on Hacker News: Ask HN: Who wants to be hired? (July 2023) | Hacker News (ycombinator.com)

We may just be in a time where 2-3 year job progression is stale and maybe have to hold out 4-5 years until you either move jobs or see internal job progression that is well beyond the 3-5% yearly job raise. I’d recommend streamlining your resume to be specific and target each job with a cover letter and very specific skills/experiences tuned in the resume. Thats all to say don’t give up! At the end of the day hard work is hard work. I wish you well on your journey.

1 Like